Gluten Free Coconut and Almond Bars
Fruit bars are a typical option for a quick, nutritious snack but they can work out pretty pricey when grabbing shop bought bars on a daily basis, plus they are often packed full of unwanted ingredients that can be detrimental to your diet. Our advice is to roll up your sleeves - there is much fun to be had (and money to be saved) by making the bars yourself. Packed full of goodness, these bars are perfect for filling you up and making in large batches, ideal for guilt-free snacking throughout the week.
Amount: 12 bars | Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook: 50 minutes | Ready in: 1 hour
- ¾ cup raw almonds, lightly toasted
- ¾ cup raw cashews, lightly toasted
- 1 ½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- ½ cup honey
- 3 tablespoons water
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 165c. Heat the honey, salt, water in a pot over medium heat stirring occasionally. Reduce to simmer for approximately 25 minutes and until the honey reaches 130c, this can be tested with a thermometer.
- In the meantime, whilst the honey mixture is heating, lightly toast nuts and coconut in the oven for approximately 10 minutes or until they are golden.
- When honey mixture is fully heated, remove the pot from the heat and add the toasted nuts and coconuts, stirring well to coat. Once combined, spread the mixture out on an 8x8 (inches) tray lined with parchment paper. The mixture should be approximately ¾ inch thick.
Continue to spread the mixture out evenly using a greased spatula. Press down to compressing the mixture as much as possible. This helps the bar stay together when you cut them later. Let these cool uncovered for 45 minutes.
- Once the mixture has cooled, flip it onto a board and cut into bars.
For more gluten free and healthy snacking ideas, download a FREE copy of our Guilt Free Snacking eBook now.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.