With the holiday season now in full swing the lucky majority of us will be enjoying a darn relaxing summer break with only one hindrance: the dreaded packing.
Most of us take far too many cosmetics on holiday in a fit of ‘panic packing’ as we imagine a thousand different scenarios where taking twenty different shades of eye shadow is necessary.
With a little careful planning you can include all of your essentials without the fear of anything being confiscated at security. First up it is important to acknowledge that your skin has different requirements whilst you are abroad.
The drying effects of air travel can be particularly harsh which, followed by the hot and humid climate behind the airplane door can spell disaster for your delicate epidermis. Add in some strong sunlight, late nights, alcoholic beverages and salt water and you have a potential catastrophe on your hands. You may feel as though you cannot do without your daily routine; moisturizer, toner, exfoliator etc but this is not the case. Below is some advice to ensure that you don’t hit your baggage limit and spend all your mojito pocket money on getting three years worth of Clarins products onto the plane.
• You know all those little things that you try to put off until the last moment like manicures, pedicures, waxing etc?
Do them in advance to avoid freaking out at the last minute and having to take all the ingredients with you. That being said you should pop a nail file and a disposable razor in your beauty bag just in case.
HINT: I recommend a Shellac manicure/pedicure as they generally last for 14 days without the need for a touch up.
• Instead of packing your cleanser, toner and cotton wool pads try some gentle facial cleansing wipes that also remove eye makeup. It saves room and anyway, you should be too busy having fun to do your nightly pore routine.
• Head along to to Boots and grab some of those handy little bottles for decanting your hair necessities into rather than dragging your 2 litre’s of shampoo and conditioner with you. Pick up some travel sized hairspray and mousse as well while you’re there.
• Instead of taking a body lotion and an after sun simply double up and take a lotion that you can keep in the fridge ready for those inevitable days of over-exposure.
• Swap your heavy foundation for a tinted moisturizer, which is much lighter and won’t slip off in the heat. Put some into a small screw-top container and throw in with the rest of your makeup.
HINT: Try out Mac tinted moisturisers as they contain SPF.
• You do not and will not need a lipstick per day. Take a tinted lip gloss/balm for the day and a lipstick for the evening. One, ladies.
• As a general rule of thumb do not leave your house without the following: black mascara (preferably waterproof) and from Max Factor, an eye shadow palette, waterproof eyeliner, cream blusher, translucent face powder. Chances are you will not need a bronzer but if it makes your palms sweaty when you consider life without it pop it in your bag as a luxury item.
• Other important things to make room for are: sunscreen, mosquito repellent, paracetamol and Imodium. Everyone at some point has had the ‘search of shame’ at airport security, with the obligatory fishing out and binning of the scissors/foundation. With that in mind here is a quick guideline: Clear bag or suitcase – mascara, lipgloss, lipstick, lip balm, gel liners, liquid foundation, primer, moisturizer and eye drops. Anything powder based can remain in your hand luggage without the need for faffing around.
HINT: Any liquids you do take in your hand luggage must be under 100ml
Happy holidays beautiful people. xx
You might also be interested in reading: Slap It On And Stay Safe
Jennifer Jane is 34 years old and lives in London. As well as being a FORZA ambassador, make-up artist to the stars and a professional model she is also campaigning to help stem the rise of obesity in the UK. Jennifer is the face of FORZA’s new Multivitamin for Dieters, a capsule that supports any diet or eating regime by ensuring you get all the nutrients required when you are cutting calories. Find out more about Jennifer.